Christmas, my favorite holiday. But this Christmas has a new meaning for me. Although is has been the usual hustle bustle with parties galore, I have been more conscious of the real meaning behind the holiday.
Now I know what you are going to say, "Yes, Jesus is the reason for the season" and you are right. Jesus was born on that Christmas day to be the Savior for all men.I love the image of God sending His Son as a tiny, helpless baby. God must have seen something very special in Mary to know that she would be just the right Mother for this tiny baby and little boy. After all, Jesus had to be nurtured and loved into His adult life by Mary, His Mom.
This Christmas season, I am hearing concerns that the world is taking Christ out of Christmas. I wonder why we Christians are shocked about that fact? This is not a new phenomenon. For years people have focused on presents and parties instead of the purpose for the season. Especially in America, we tend to be wrapped up in ourselves instead of being wrapped up in message of Christmas.
Which brings me to my point? The message of Christmas. This fall, I have been taking a study called, "On Mission with God." The focus of this study is that everything was created to give glory to God. God wants our lives to be lived in a way to give Him glory.
Our family was asked to light the Advent candle at church. The scripture we read was Luke 2:8-14. Now I am a lifetime Christian. I was raised in church and I have heard the Christmas story for all the 55 years of my life. I have read the Christmas story to my children and my grandchildren, but this year God showed me something beyond the birth of His Son.
Luke 2:14 says, "Glory to God in the highest." No matter what translation you read it says, "Glory to God in the highest." The angels proclaimed the birth of Jesus by giving glory to God. God sent Jesus not only to die for the sins of man. God sent Jesus not only to make reconciliation between sinful man and Himself. God sent Jesus to bring glory to Himself!
The new meaning of Christmas for me is not to keep Christ in Christmas; folks no one can take Him out of the season if He lives in our hearts. The new meaning of Christmas for me is not about the baby who grew to be the Savior of all mankind for I ask myself, "What will I do with that salvation?" The new meaning of Christmas for me is, "Glory to God in the highest."
Glory to God who guides me in my everyday life. Glory to God as He protects me from this world I live in temporarily. Glory to God for my family. Glory to God for my friends.Glory to God for my job. Glory to God for all the people I meet each day. Glory to God for the hard times. Glory to God for the good times.
"Glory to God in the highest and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased." I pray Father God that my life will never cease to give You glory!
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I LOVE it!
ReplyDelete