There is something so beautiful about snow. The glistening blanket of snow is pure, unblemished, untouched by anything or anyone. I am always reminded that God has covered my sins making them as white as snow; before God I am pure and unblemished.
Any accumulation of snow in the Texas Panhandle brings with it closings of schools, churches, and any social events. These closings force families into their homes where they actually have to spend time together.
Because I work for the school system snow days are bitter sweet. In one sense it is a day off work but on the other hand it is a loss of a holiday. In this case, the Monday after Easter which is one of my favorite days out of school. So as I contemplated being home today, I began to remember many precious memories of days gone by.
I grew up in Phillips, a company town. One winter it snowed so much that everything stopped; in fact, the snow was so deep everything was shut down for several days. My father worked at the Phillps plant; since no one could come or go, the men who were at work when the snow started were stuck. My mother was trapped at home with four girls. Mom did not drive and, even if she had we only had the one car which was with Dad at work. Many families including mine could not get to the store to get groceries or anything else for that matter. In our little town we had the Cut Rite Grocery owned by Frank Badeen. Soon our phone rang, it was Frank asking if we needed any groceries. Mom gave him her list and he assured her he would bring the supplies. Do not ask me how he managed, but before the end of the day, Frank arrived with our groceries. When Mom offered him what money she had, he replied, "Just pay me when you can." I do not know how many families he helped during those days, but I know that to the Cheatwood family, he was an angel sent by God.
My Mom loved to read and I am fortunate that she taught me to love books. She bought books from our Weekly Reader Book Club and kept them ready for snow days or days when we were sick. So on snow days, we each got a book wrapped up in our blankets and started to read. I think these days are the reason that once I start a book I want to read until I have it finished. When we finished our book, Mom would ask us to tell her all about it. Still today on a snowy day, I am tempted to curl up under a blanket with a book.
So today is a snow day and I am the Grandma. I am at home with three little boys and I am trying to create memories for them. We started under a pile of blankets watching an exciting episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. After breakfast we broke out the Play Doh, a special treat. The boys love it, Nana not so much, but it is fun watching them create monsters and globs. After lunch, an energetic game of Wii Sports and Star Wars, the Clone Wars. I am making stew and brownies. Each boy is picking out a book to read under our pile of blankets.
Glistening snow is beautiful, but today the most beautiful thing in the world is the smiles on three the faces of three little boys.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I truly love this Debi. Thank you for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the idea! As you talked about getting under the blankets, the idea came to create a blanket tent for the kids to play in tomorrow! I love your memory.
ReplyDelete