Sunday, October 24, 2010

Father Are You There?

I was one of those bad Moms; I let my children sleep with me. My youngest was especially attached and when Dad decided she was to old to sleep between us, it was hard for her to be alone in her room. Almost every morning we would find her laying on the floor beside our bed inside her sleeping bag. No matter what punishment we threatened, fear would grip her during the night and here she would come. She just wanted to be near us.



When she was in second grade we moved into a new house. It was decided that Kimberly's room would be the one attached to the master bedroom. There was even a door that came from her room into ours. Surely this would make her feel safe at night so she could finally sleep in her own bed.



But each night the old fears would attack and she would say, "Mommy, can you hear me?" I would reply, "Yes, baby, I can hear you, can you hear me?" Seconds later, "Mommy, are you there?" "Yes, baby, I am still here?" In just a few minutes, "Mommy, can you hear me breathing?" With a deep sigh I would say, "Yes, baby, can you hear me breathing?" After a longer time, "Mommy, I love you, are you there?" With a smile, I would reply, "Yes baby, I am here, I love you, too." As sleep would begin to invade her little body, I usually got one last request, " Mommy, if you hear something will you come get me?" Knowing she was almost asleep I would reassure her, "Yes, Baby, but you are safe so go to sleep."



Now years later, I find myself being that little girl wanting reassurance from my Father. As I wait on the doctors, I find myself saying, "Father, can you hear me?" I am always met with the answer, "Yes, Debi, I can hear you."



Feeling confident, I proceed into life, but then comes another doctor appointment and more news and again I cry out, "Father, are you there?" "Yes, child, I am here." Once again, reassured and confident, I go on about my daily life.



Then Satan sends his ugly fear again, and I finding myself gasping, "Father, can you hear me breathing?" Lovingly He reminds me, "Yes child, I am the breath of life, I hear you breathing."

No comments:

Post a Comment