Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Love That Lasts

In September of 1974, God sent a gift into my life. That gift came in the form of an Air Force Staff Sergeant named Carl Duso.

You see my Mama was a praying woman. This wise woman saw that my life was beginning to spiral, so she began to pray that God would send me a husband. Now I knew she was praying for me a husband and I would mock her saying, "Mama, God doesn't send men knocking out the door. You have to go out and find one."

Well on that Saturday in September, God sent Carl Duso knocking at my door. A friend of mine was dating a friend of his and he needed a date for the evening. I can honestly say it was love at first site but the deal clincher was the fact that he cried during the movie, "Where the Red Fern Grows." I knew right then I wanted to marry this man.

Surprisingly to me, he felt the same way and within three weeks we were engaged. We married on January 4, 1975 and my life was changed forever.

But the gift was not that God had honored the request of my Mama's prayer and sent a wonderful man knocking at my door. The gift was not a marriage that has seen the test of time. No, the gift was the unconditional love of my sweetheart. For the first time in my life, I understood unconditional love. Carl love me just the way I was and never asked me to be anything except myself. I saw the unconditional love of the Saviour modeled by this man, my soul mate.

No time in our marriage has his unconditional love been more evident than in the last year. During a difficult extended illness, all the burden of our lives fell on Carl's shoulders. He never hesitated and did everything I needed to survive. He held my hand in the hospital when I was recovering from surgery. He drove me to countless doctor appointments filled with disappointing news. He hovered during the days of pain and comforted me the best he could. With the help of my two daughters, he took over all the household duties. Basically, he took all the worry out of my life so I could focus on getting well.

Yes, once again, my husband was modeling the attributes of Christ. He was my Rock, my Comfort, my Provider. Now, I want you to understand, Carl can model these attributes because for the last year he has lived Phillippians 4:13, " For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." He would be the first to tell you that he does nothing in his own power, but through the Christ who lives inside him, he can do all things.

So Happy Anniversary, Duso. I am so glad God answered my Mama's prayer and sent you into my life thirty-seven years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment