Today during his Bible lesson Tyler was learning the story of Elizabeth and Zacharias. Now with Tyler, you never know how he will interpret the story being told. Today he stands up and yells, "He is having a baby, and he never had one. He is really old like you and Pepe'. I cannot believe it." Next he says, "He should have listened; God told him." Finally he says, " Now he can talk; I bet he is glad." The ability to talk is very important to Tyler.
As I reflected on Tyler's reaction I thought about us "old folk Christians". Tyler was amazed at the miracle of Zacharias and Elizabeth having a baby when they are old. When was the last time I read a familiar story in the Bible and was amazed. I am afraid that all too often the stories in the Bible become routine and lose their wonder. The adult John was the one who announced the arrival of Jesus' ministry. The circumstance of his birth is wondrous. God had a special plan for the baby John and even in his mother's womb, he was recognized the Savior and rejoiced at His presence. I love when I can feel God's presence and His very power at work in my life.
The next part of the story that was important to Tyler was Zacharias' disbelief. Now Tyler knows that not listening can cause a person BIG trouble; he has many experiences with this particular problem. I hope as a "mature" Christians remember the consequences of not listening. God speaks to us daily. In my life, sometimes He uses other Christians, sometimes he uses family, but most of the time He uses my prayer life. It is in times of prayer that God speaks to me.
Tyler likes to talk. He talks non-stop from the time he wakes up until he falls asleep at night. Tyler doesn't really need people to talk to, he is fine with talking to himself. For Tyler, Zacharias' punishment was severe to not be able to talk. Wow! So when Zacharias could talk again, what a relief! Although a time of trial is not always a punishment, a difficult circumstance can seem to last forever. When the dark time is over, I rejoice in the goodness of God; the fact that He never leaves us in distress, but brings into a full, abundant life.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment