Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Journey's End

So today is my birthday and I thought this was time to reflect about my cancer journey. It is over one complete year; my journey with cancer. On September 3rd, 2010, my OB/GYN found a mass during a routine exam. On September 6, 2010, the first CAT Scan found a mass that later turned out to be uterine cancer. On November 18, I had surgery. In December I started radiation and then in May I began chemotherapy. Little did I know that God was taking me on a journey that would bring tears, laughter, renewed familial relationships, strengthened friendships, and His glorious presence.

What happened in that year?
First, God was there. From the beginning He filled me with confidence that "it was going to be OK." There was no fear, no worry; every moment I knew that God was keeping me safe in His arms. Over and over the Lord brought to my mind the parable of Jesus calming the storm (Mark 4: 35-41). I knew that the One who controlled the winds and the waves also controlled the events of my life. How could I be afraid when the Master was in absolute control? It is hard to explain how real God's presence is at times that seem so bleak. But there was always a sense of peace and the knowledge that this trial would pass and all would be "normal" again. Yes, there were days when I cried out in pain and desperation, but, almost immediately there was a stillness that came over me as He wrapped me in His arms. It felt much the way I remember feeling when my mother would hug me and kiss my tears away.

Second, He prepared the road ahead of me by providing everything I needed. He provided wonderful, Christian doctors; before surgery, my doctor told me that he never went into surgery without first praying. Always in the front of my mind was a desire to glorify Him in this journey. I wanted those around me to know that God was controlling my cancer. To my radiation technicians and to my chemotherapy nurse, I wanted to relay to them that I was so glad God had given them the special skills to take care of me. He provided insurance policies that would take complete care of the financial aspect of cancer; these policies were taken out years ago and long since forgotten by me. He sent loving friends to bring meals and words of support; school friends and church brothers/sisters poured out love upon my family. He provided a longtime friend, who now works with the American Cancer Society, that would help with gas money and wigs.

Third, He renewed many relationships with my family. One of the main prayers I had was that God would use this illness to draw me closer to my family and my family closer to God. Of course, my faithful Lord has exceeded my expectations. One nephew is sending daily scriptures through text message. One sister has dusted off her Bible and has sent encouraging scriptures on "those days."
My other sister has been faithful to call each week so she can give the report to the prayer group on Wednesday night. The third sister has told me often that she is praying for me. My oldest daughter has come home to help care for me and for the first time in many, many years both of my daughters were at church with me. My three little grandsons have learned the power of prayer; their sweet little prayers have blessed me on "those dark days." There are no words that can describe my awesome husband; he has kept the family going in these days.

So the end of this cancer journey is my happy birthday present. Praise God who does great things and gives me blessing beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment